Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Standing on Solid Ground

"The right decision, taken with equanimity, the right attitude, the truth. When we must die, we must die. Rectitude"

Herwo friends and family!
  When I arrived in Tanzania I felt so much uncertainty, some self-doubt, and a whole lot of hope. I felt a bit torn down and tired from my last bit of University and misadventures in Portland, Oregon, and I felt totally astray from the spiritual path I once felt so tied with-the path that once gave me strength and offered inspired direction. I felt uncertain about my decision to serve, and I doubted my own convictions; could I conjure the energy to face this challenge? should I have really left my life behind? will this be a chance to reclaim a vision of higher purpose? the encouragement of my friends and family gave me hope. If they, the people I love and admire,  believe in me-I can feel affirmed. 
  I felt very beaten down by life in the states. However, I'm definitely a bit too much of a worry wart I've realized. Living in Tanzania for a few months has given a lot of much needed perspective. The adversity that I see people standing against awes and humbles me daily. The first week I arrived in Dar Es Salaam I remember feeling shock and sadness at seeing people, stricken with polio, begging in the streets-sometimes only able to maneuver themselves by their hands, dragging their limp and deformed legs behind. I see 'house girls' work feverishly on a daily basis. Often they have moved far away from their families to work in the homes of others for very little earnings-having forgone formal education.      At the village level, many people are subsistance farmers. They have very little capital income but they can provide for themselves with the animals they care for and the crops they grow. Living off the land is a simple life with it's own riches. However, without income-people don't have access to the things that they aren't able to cultivate themselves. A child of my Tanzanian host family had such a terrible case of intestinal worms that his face was completely gaunt, his arms emaciated. I bought him the medicine that he needed, but what if he gets them again?
  As time here continues to pass, and my language skills continue to improve, I am feeling ever-more confident in my decision to be here. I feel like I can truly impact the lives of others. I can give back for everything we take for granted in the states. Sometimes the reality of my new surroundings escape me and I briefly forget the ways life here contrasts life back home and the reasons why I am here. However when I go to take a 'bucket bath' (in a brick out-house), at the end of everyday, I reflect on the smiles of all of the beautiful people i'm living amongst- all of their hopes and the adversities they face (hopes that may seem meager to most westerners and adversities that dwarf my own)- and I am reminded; I am here to serve and I am honored to do so. 
-Steven

"Barefoot and unadorned, the withered trees spontaneously bloom"

NGO shout-out; 

Deforestation is a continuous and multi-dimensional threat to the planet we enjoy. Trees for the future is a Maryland based NGO that provides resources, education, and raises awareness about the importance of planting trees. Trees For the Future has restored an incredible range of environments in 16+ countries across Africa, Asia, and Latin America. They are a wonderful NGO to support, and generally have knowledge of. Click the hyper link to check them out!

Also, please enjoy this bit of video. The video shows some of the nuns, that live in my village, practicing their choir music. The video is poor quality and sideways for half the time-but the sound is ok!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0It20nCB14&feature=youtu.be





  

No comments:

Post a Comment